The Rocky Mountain Harvard Club was established at a meeting of alumni in the Albany Hotel in Denver (1720 Stout Street, where the Johns Manville Plaza currently sits) on February 11, 1886. The following day, the Denver Tribune-Republican published an article about the creation of the Club. The Harvard Crimson also published an article about it the following week.
The RMHUC has preserved other details of its history as well. An article from an 1890 issue of The Harvard Crimson writes of the Club's fifth annual banquet. And here is a menu from the eleventh annual banquet at the Brown Palace Hotel in 1896.
The Club was legally incorporated in Colorado as a "corporation not for pecuniary profit" on March 18, 1916, by Willard Lewis Fales, Joseph D. Hitch, Lawrence Lewis, Ralph S. Pitts, and Ralph E. Boothby. In order to take advantage of the Colorado Nonprofit Corporation Act of 1973, the Articles of Incorporation were amended and restated in 1980. An amendment in June 1983 changed the name to "The Rocky Mountain Harvard University Club."